Question-1 Explain FIFO Page replacement Algorithm
FIFO Page replacement Algorithm
- The first in first out page replacement algorithm is the simplest page replacement algorithm.
- The operating system maintains a list of all pages currently in memory, with the most recently arrived page at the tail and least recent at the head.
- On a page fault, the page at head is removed and the new page is added to the tail.
- When a page replacement is required the oldest page in memory needs to be replaced.
- The performance of the FIFO algorithm is not always good because it may happen that the page which is the oldest is frequently referred by OS.
- Hence removing the oldest page may create page fault again.