Here in this section of Operating System Long Questions and Answers,We have listed out some of the important Long Questions with Answers on Virtual Memory which will help students to answer it correctly in their University Written Exam.
Lists of Long Descriptive type Questions that may be asked in Written Exams.
- (1) What is Virtual Memory? Explain in brief
Question-1 What is Virtual Memory? Explain in brief.
- The basic idea behind virtual memory is that each program has its own address space, which is broken up into pages.
- Each page is a contiguous range of addresses.
- These pages are mapped onto the physical memory but, to run the program, all pages are not required to be present in the physical memory.
- The operating system keeps those parts of the program currently in use in main memory, and the rest on the disk.
- Virtual memory works fine in a multiprogramming system, with bits and pieces of many programs in memory at once.
- While a program is waiting for part of itself to be brought in, it is waiting for I/O and cannot run, so the CPU can be given to another process.
- In a system using virtual memory, the physical memory is divided into page frames and the virtual address space is divided in into equally-sized partitions called pages.
You may be interested in:
Operating System Short Descriptive Questions and Answers
Operating System Multiple Choice Questions Answers (MCQs)
Windows Operating System Online Tests
Linux Operating System Online Tests